Wednesday 28 May 2008

Let's make the first one a real beauty


The inaugural Down Under Feminists Carnival is coming up soon, and you have until the end of the month to get your submissions in. The criteria are casual and relaxed - the way we like it around here, perhaps. Carnival founder, and opening night host Lauredhel, of Hoyden fame, says that: Anything feminist posted in May from an Australian or New Zealander blogger is fair game.

So have a look though your posts, and send a submission, using the blog carnival form that Lauredhel has set up.

Now is good! Submissions close on 31 May, and the carnival will appear sometime in early June.

The carnival home page is here, and the submission form is here. Be patient with the submission form; I have found that once I have filled in the first box, and clicked on the next, it has a little think, then fills in most of the rest of the form all by itself.

Other things you can do to support the carnival:
- Put the sidebar button on your own blog, and link it to the carnival homepage (ahem... - ah, Julie.... can we do that here?)
- Contact the awesome carnival founder, Lauredhel, and offer to host the carnival. Lauredhel uses gmail, and her user name there is lauredhelhoyden

3 comments:

Anna said...

Sorry to be dumb, but I'm new to blogging and don't actually know what a carnival is. Would you mind explaining? :-)

Deborah said...

It's a round-up of posts on a particular topic, in this case, Down Under Feminism. You look through your own posts, and / or through posts made by other people, and nominate them for inclusion in the carnival. Usually they're posts made within a specific time frame - in this case, during May. I've nominated quite a few posts from NZ feminist blogs for this first Down Under Feminism Carnival.

Carnivals usually run at regular intervals, so if you don't nominate anything for this edition, you can nominate for the next one, or the one after that. The next one would be good - I will be hosting it at my own place. And maybe someone from the THM team will volunteer to host one here sometime...

I hosted the Carnival of Feminists a few months ago. Take a look to see a particularly excellent example of a carnival!

Julie said...

Thanks for this Deborah, the sidebar button is hopefully do-able within my limited technical expertise and I will try my darndest to get it up today. I'm also keen to offer to host when I've got offline life a bit more under control :-)

Don't worry Anna, it took me a while to work out what a carnival was too. Blogswarms did my head in for ages until I realised it was just a day when lots of people agreed to post about subject X, eg the Blog Against Sexual Violence Day that we participated in here back in April.