Sunday 13 April 2008

Part-time smartschmuck-time

Cross posted on In a Strange Land. (It's taken me a few hours to cross post this here, because I was reluctant to dump a 2000 word post at the top of THM, and I don't know how to break posts over a page on the blogger platform. Sisters-in-THM, if we can do this, can you let me know how, so I can sort it out? I have posted the first couple of paragraphs of the post here, and then the link takes you to the whole post on my blog. Comments welcome at either place!)

The headline in Tuesday's Australian says it - Part-timers fail at work, home. Beaton Consulting surveyed 10,000 white collar workers, and found that part-time workers feel that they are falling behind in their careers, working just as hard as their full-time counterparts, but paid less, and at the same time, they feel they simply don't have enough family time. It's a lose:lose situation.

You can get a PDF of the entire report here (2MB), or you can go read Penguin Unearthed's excellent summary. Penguin Unearthed gives a measured analysis - I recommend reading it - but me, I'm going to be a little more rant-y about the whole flaming issue.

Click to read the rest of the post.

1 comment:

showyourworkings said...

Well it summs up my experience of part time work. I had enough money left over after child care to buy my lunch. That's why I work from home now with my own business.