Sunday 18 May 2008

About Our Blogroll

Probably this is the kind of post you write when you first establish a blog, but I guess better late than never.

Currently there are five sections to our Blogroll:

1. Other places we write
Some of The Hand Mirror’s writers also blog elsewhere. These are the other blogs their work appears on, as well as here. There is original content by our writers (i.e. stuff that hasn’t been posted here) on each of these blogs and they are well worth a good looksie.

2. Other NZ women in Blogland
This is a list of all the blogs I can find that have NZ women writing on them, either on their own or as part of a team.

By “NZ women” I mean women who either openly identify as New Zealanders and are based in Aotearoa or overseas, or are immigrants to NZ from another country. There is no intention to list only feminists, or to label all of these bloggers feminist. The idea is to promote the blogging of NZ women, regardless of subject matter or politics. To this end please do let me know if your blog, or another you are aware of that meets the criteria, is missing and I will add it in.

Most of these blogs have come to my attention through the blogrolls of others. I am also sporadically working through the blog listings at the excellent site Kiwiology to pick up any women I have missed, although this is taking a long long time.

This portion of the blogroll was converted to a most recent post listing in January 2009. A few of the feeds may not be working properly - if your blog is one of those please get in touch so we can work out how to fix it.

3. Other NZ Blogs
These are NZ blogs who don’t have any women writing on them but are generally progressive in their outlook. These are left-of-centre/progressive bloggers who have, at least sometimes, been supportive of feminism and women's participation in public life.

4. Foreign Feminists
This only scratches the surface of the vast array of overseas bloggers writing from a feminist perspective. At the moment this list is dominated by American and Australian blogs, and if you have some from another part of the world to suggest feel free to do so in comments or by email.

5. Carnivals
Here we have a list of blog carnivals which make a point of featuring women, and/or are explicitly feminist. If you are aware of a carnival that should be added to this list please let me know.


So there you go, now you know!

Last updated January 26th 2009

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really looking for frogblog to be reclassified coz I'm happy sitting in my current non-gender-specific spot, but just thought I should let you know that Jeanette F, Metiria T and Sue K have all blogged on irregular occasions for frogblog.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lesbian/feminist/politico blogging in the South Island. I have run a popular blog for over a year now but it has just moved to a new address so am still building up the content. I write on any topics of relevance to the Motueka community and wider, from a left-wing perspective, with humour where possible. I also operate a companion website at www.motuekanewsonline.co.nz
I would like to be included in your blogroll if possible.
Thanks,
Kate

Unknown said...

Hi, I have a pagan/feminist/insert other descriptive word here blog. I'm currently resideing in Wellington and would love to be included on your blogroll if it's okay.

Thanks,

Brie

Anonymous said...

I'd love if you added my blog
http://coffee.geek.nz

I blog on technology, opensource, wellington, and freedom.

(i also organise Wellington's Girl Geek Dinners) -- would you consider adding http://girlgeekdinners.co.nz


cheers

Brenda said...

Thanks for adding coffee.geek.nz -- however you've grabbed my comments rss, not the posts

Posts rss =
http://coffee.geek.nz/rss.xml

Unknown said...

Hi,

I blog at Under the Purple Magnolia Tree, and am based in this beautiful land of ours in the North Island. My blog is a bit of everything, some feminism, some random musing, some social activist and humanitarian commentary, and some comments on the ups and downs of being a social science thesis student. I'd love to be included on your blog roll.

Tesni

btw, I know the person who used to write for Life in the Strawbrie Patch, she has taken down her blog and the link is now dead - you might want to remove it from the blog list :)

Madeleine said...

Our feed has gone nutty since we moved to Wordpress, some people's links to us have kept up and others like yours have frozen on the last Blogger post and are bizarrely not reading our Wordpress posts.

As blogger won't answer my cry for help my tech friends suggest manually contacting each blog affected and asking them to delete their link to us then re-add it from our home page www.mandm.org.nz So... if you feel so inclined...

Thanks :-)

Grace Dalley said...

Hi there, Hand Mirroristas!

I am based in Christchurch and have a blog, Rata Weekly, where I put fun things I find on the web or in real life that are about art or science or books, and also pictures of clouds.

I'm at http://rataweekly.blogspot.com/

Best,
Grace Dalley.

Helen said...

Thanks for linking to my blog, I've just moved to here

http://showyourworkings.cybercorp.co.nz/

if you want to update you info.
Cheers
Helen