Tuesday 10 June 2008

Cross post - Our abortion laws, bendable but also breakable?

Cross posted at the ex-expat.

One of the aspects of American politics I had hoped would never reach New Zealand's shores is the Roe versus Wade nonsense. Not just because of the ugliness around the politics of abortion, but because the decision seemed to be made by the courts rather than through the democratic process. I'm sure a law buff at this point would give me a good bitch slapping, and pointing out the judiciary does have a vital role to play in our democracy. However to me it seems an anathema that the legality of such a contentious issue should be determined in a courtroom rather than the House of Representatives where it rightly belongs.

But then I guess the ruling by the High Court ruling further illustrates what happens when politicians kick for touch on a contentious issues like abortion. The political pragmatist in me knows that any sane politician at this point would be ducking for cover on this judgment given that there is an election just a few months away and they don't want to antagonize a very vocal opposition on both sides of this matter. However the political purist in me keeps asking the same question, if not now, then when?

It irks me to no end that I find myself agreeing anti-abortion crowd, the current law is an ass, and I would like to see it changed. However I do advocate that our laws are at least a reflection of current practices rather than any regression. I don't think that restricting access to abortion merely on the physical and psychological grounds of the mother is doing anyone any favours, it unnecessarily casts a shroud of shame on what is already a difficult process but also puts medical professionals in a very difficult position, having to bend the law in order to do what is best for their patients.

Moreover the debate is well overdue. The current laws are over 30 years old, chemical abortion is possible and New Zealand has hopefully moved on enough to debate this matter in a sane and rational matter. However given the ugliness in the section 59 debate, I'm not holding my breath that the voices that need to be heard the loudest on this, the women who are making or have made this decision, will be drowned out by the largely male talking heads for whom this issue has always been an abstract one.

Ps If Right to Life spokesperson Ken Orr happens to be reading my rant, I don't need to be 'protected' from the 'tragedy' that is abortion. I am quite able to make my own decisions and live with the consequences, both positive and negative, thank you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've worked in women's health and although the current law is "underhand" it worries me that a debate and rehash of the laws will not make it better for women. I am sorry but i don't beleive a mature and resonable debate would ensue that would result in women's true freedom of choice and that scares me.

Ex-expat said...

That was kind of my point in the last sentence, the debate of section 59 will likely drown out the voices that need to be heard the most.

Anonymous said...

yeah sorry - got that. I guess what frightens me (really) is what happens when these contentious issues get debated - the raw side of society comes out and I don't like what I hear and see.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have to join in the skepticism that Family Fist will rise above their current tactics. I might also add that the Herald seems to be starting out as they intend to go on by adding in Family Planning as an afterthought to their article.

That said, I'm hopeful that we will get a renewed bill at some point that doesn't weaken the choice for abortions. I'm hopeful that we'll remember that a pregnancy always involves at least two (and sometimes three) people. But I seriously wonder if now's the time, especially as we're already risking an incoming National government.

Nikki Elisabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki Elisabeth said...

Sorry... deleted post because I think I got the name wrong!

I just wanted to say that I agree with artandmylife (and have talked extensively within family planning) that there is a lot to lose if the whole abortion law debate is brought out into the media/mainstream. It sucks aplenty.

I wish I had some solutions but arghhhhhhhhhh.

(Sorry, entirely useless comment!)