Friday 22 August 2008

Friday Feminist - Andrea Dworkin

Cross posted

I'm going to ask you to remember the prostituted, the homeless, the battered, the raped, the tortured, the murdered, the raped-then-murdered, the murdered-then-raped; and I am going to ask you to remember the photographed, the ones that any or all of the above happened to and it was photographed and now the photographs are for sale in our free countries. I want you to think about those who have been hurt for the fun, the entertainment, the so-called speech of others; those who have been hurt for profit, for the financial benefit of pimps and entrepreneurs. I want you to remember the perpetrator and I am going to ask you to remember the victims: not just tonight but tomorrow and the next day. I want you to find a way to include them -- the perpetrators and the victims -- in what you do, how you think, how you act, what you care about, what your life means to you.


Andrea Dworkin, Remember, resist, do not comply, 1995

2 comments:

Anna said...

This is very timely given the whole Boobs on Bikes debacle. It's sad how the principle of free speech can be put to the service of shitty 'entrepreneurs' like Steve Crow, without any thought for the harm which can be done under its auspices.

Deborah said...

That's why I posted it. The BoB thing, and some of the reactions in the supposedly progressive blogosphere in NZ, have really pissed me off.

I like Idiot Savant's approach to it, though.