Tuesday 11 November 2008

Lippy

From this weekend's Sunday magazine:
She says she felt she was being pigeonholed by the marketers into being either a shy, retiring woman, or a nightclubbing model. "Where was the lipstick that has a cerebral element that recongises we're not just putting on lipstick to greet the hubby at the door in our apron?" she asks. "That's not the function of my lipstick. Neither is the fucntion of it to go out and be a girl behaving badly, I don't have to put it on, go out and have sex with 10 men. I didn't want to have to make the choice between whether I was the intelligent girl or whether I was the attractive girl. Why can't I be both?"
Australian Poppy King, the woman who launched two lipstick ranges, first Poppy which went belly up in the 1990s, and now Lipstick Queen.

What say you dear readers - is lippy only for the matron or the madam?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking in my official capacity as a pretty girl, I say lipstick is for anyone who damn well wants to wear it, whenever they want to wear it, but preferably if it's made and advertised for good, not bad.

Anonymous said...

It isn't an either/or matter.

But... "lipstick with a cerebral element?" I think that's going too close to ridiculous. It is just lipstick.

Anonymous said...

I'll have much more time for lipstick when the majority of brands aren't laced with various toxic substances (kudos to the relatively few companies who have signed up to safe cosmetics agreements). I'm fed up with being told I'm "worth" makeup that could do me long-term damage, because the major companies think their profit is more important than a woman's life and health.

Anonymous said...

I love my lippy the way I love my high heels - they're part of the options I have when I'm figuring out what I want to wear.

Have to say, I think wearing glasses helps balance out the lipstick=flirty tart assumptions which yes, people do still make.

DPF:TLDR said...

Have to say, I think wearing glasses helps balance out the lipstick=flirty tart assumptions which yes, people do still make.

I dunno, that nerd chique thing is pretty well established now. Many women wear glasses specifically to attract a certain type of man.

Deborah said...

So men do make passes at girlies with glasses!

I'm with Joanna on the lippy issue - do what you damn well want and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Stephanie said...

Lipstick is a PITA, always needs to be reapplied and sticks to stuff that my incriminate you later.

Anonymous said...

The thing that confused me about this interview was that further on, Poppy announced that her new products were split into two categories: "Saint" (sheer, glossy) and "Sinner" (matte style lipsticks).

Um, whaa??

DPF:TLDR said...

So men do make passes at girlies with glasses!

Some men don't make passes at anybody else!