Monday 16 March 2009

Covering up the bald spot

Lauredhel Hoyden has found what I think must be one of the most squicky baby products ever: toupees for baby girls. (Sidebar: Lauredhel, how on earth do you find these things?!!!)



That's right. If you're concerned that your baby girl's soft fine short hair means she's not pretty enough (gah!) or even worse, makes her look like a boy (oh noes - gender confusion.... how terrible), then you can get her a headband with false hair attached.

There's just so many things wrong with this.

For extra squickiness, here's the testimonials from the Baby Bangs site:
I absolutely LOVE the Baby Bangs! concept!'--"Very cute and apropos in our image-conscious modern world. I will be getting these as shower gifts for any of my friends having a baby girl.
GOOD LUCK SELLING THEM! -- THEY REALLY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE ON THE BABIES. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE CHANGE IT MADE IN EMILY. THANK GOODNESS SHE HAS HAIR NOW. BEAUTIFUL BLONDE RINGLETS. I WILL SEND YOU SOME PICS. WE SHOULD BE GETTING HER THREE YEAR OLD PICS DONE SOON.

9 comments:

Anna said...

The overwhelming ugliness and general stupidity of these wigs aside, I think this is actually a bit cruel. I would guess that wigs are uncomfortable and itchy - why would you want to inflict that on a baby?

And if you go to the trouble of putting a sodding wig on your baby, presumably you won't want her to play, eat anything messy, etc, or do anything else to compromise her baby-beauty.

I guess a girl's never to young to learn she's inadequate.

Giovanni Tiso said...

This is the cloppity-clop of the first horse of the apocalypse, surely?

Anonymous said...

"And if you go to the trouble of putting a sodding wig on your baby, presumably you won't want her to play, eat anything messy, etc, or do anything else to compromise her baby-beauty."

Yes, it goes well with all that designer label pink and lace, and baby high heels they'll get a kick out of dressing their dolly up in.

This is one of my favourite sayings: "People should be issued a licence and given IQ testing to have a baby."

Julie said...

I've tried to type a comment on this three times, I am too flabbergasted to be coherent!

Giovanni Tiso said...

Cloppity-clopy, cloppity-clop is really the only response. :-)

Anonymous said...

I haz no wordz.

Anonymous said...

here you go baby -- you're so ugly because you don't have thick ringlets of hair, so wear this wig like mummy says.

Anonymous said...

lol@Giovanni

katy

A Blogger said...

That is sick, what are people thinking?