Monday 30 March 2009

Precisely why Paul Henry's judgyness is unacceptable to me

Because it's Henry and his ilk who make women fearful to speak in case their looks are picked apart.

Because a woman who is interviewed about something unrelated to her appearance should not have to put up with the discussion being refocused to that. Especially when what she has to say is too challenging for the host's mental abilities.

Because there is a gender element to this; I can never imagine Paul Henry reading out a fax about Don Brash being wrinkly and how he should get botox. Not that that would be ok.

Because there is also a right-wing bias to this; part of the reason Henry would never read out a fax criticising Brash's appearance is because he is a member of the same political club. He frequently belittles left-wing commentators on the show, usually after they are gone and can no longer reply. These are not the actions of a responsible journalist.

Because he didn't respect his fellow presenter, Alison Mau, when she pleaded with him not to read the fax out. Anyone else think he might have thought twice if he'd had a man next to him saying no?

Because I would really like my nieces to grow up in a world where what they say and do is more important than what they looked like at the time.

Because if Paul Henry seriously thinks that everyone else watching Stephanie Mills was only thinking about her facial hair then he needs to get out of the studio, out of the A List events, to where real people talk about real things, like climate change, and the recession, and workers rights, and putting food on the table, and even how to ice cupcakes, not whether or not someone else should wax.

Because Henry's revelling in the attention and thinks it's a huge laugh. I don't know what Stephanie Mills thinks about it but I do know what I think about it. His indifference is the most frustrating thing for me; he doesn't get it, he doesn't want to get it, he doesn't even get that he is so not getting it. He doesn't care, and we can't make him care.

Which is why I sincerely hope that his boss, or the BSA, or the advertisers on Breakfast might be able to get through to him precisely why he should care. Not because he could lose his job, or the show could lose ratings or advertisers; but because what he did was unacceptable. I have this nasty feeling that he's going to twist it all around until he's the victim, and the champion of free speech, when in fact his actions are part of a culture of stifling the speech of those he doesn't agree with.

The problem here is not the response of viewers to Henry. The problem is Henry.

Info for emailing TVNZ and others can be found here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mills' thoughts from a NZ Herald article yesterday:

Mills was unaware of Henry's comments until the following day but after watching a clip on YouTube, she said it didn't change her "estimation" of him.

"It's trademark Paul Henry and there are bigger issues in the world to worry about - like people dying of leukaemia from French [nuclear] testing. I think he likes being controversial - that's a polite way to put it. This is who I am and people make choices about who they are.

"I have a really wonderful family, three gorgeous kids, a loving husband, great friends, really challenging job that I do part-time around all the other things I do in my life, and I love my life.

"I'm secure with myself and I feel sorry that these people are so insecure about either their own appearance or mine. This is not about me, it's about them."

She had not made a formal complaint, "at this stage".

"My main concern is I've committed a lot of my time and energy to helping stop nuclear testing and I'm really proud of that and I'd really like people to focus on those bigger picture issues. There's more to life than skin deep."

Giovanni Tiso said...

I just love how The Onion always manages to be topical.

Julie said...

Thanks Anon.

That is spooky G!

Anonymous said...

This is disgusting and should be banned!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/2304909/Moustache-gate-jumps-the-shark

Principessa said...

Anon- I too have seen that picture. Has anyone got photoshop skills? The t-shirt should say "This is what a sexist pig looks like."

James said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is disgusting and should be banned!"

And that comment there is why Henry wins hands down.....and why he's getting so much support.The PC,prune faced control nazi mentality we have endured for so long..

Labours out ladies...the ice queen and her minions are going or gone .....and freedom and free thought are in their place.Horrible I know...

;-)

Thanks for the likk BTW...Ive ordered 5!

A Nonny Moose said...

Arrrgh Flying Spaghetti Monster, the comments over at Spare Room make me want to pull my brain out through my eyeballs.

Julie said...

Bit surprised to see you try to post that comment Principessa, was it perhaps an Anon and not you?

Either way, I've already deleted that same comment from at least two other threads. Please don't try to do it again, and please respect our rules on our blog.

A Nonny Moose said...

Tee Hee. Spare Room posted a link to TV7's "Dick-o-meter" rating for Paul Henry.

He gets a 5 bell clanger for this incident!