I am going to do a horrible thing right now and say that I'm glad Breast Cancer Awareness month is over. I get how important it is that we aware of breast cancer yada yada but sometimes I get the feeling that many of the companies that are supporting see it more as a 'sell more product' than a promotion of women's health. And of course the evil 'save the boobies' meme that seem to place more emphasis on the breasts than the person attached to them is even more repugnant.
Think before you pink run by American-based NGO has come up with a list of 5 critical Questions to Ask Before You Buy Pink:
1. How much money from your purchase actually goes toward breast cancer? Is the amount clearly stated on the package?
2. What is the maximum amount that will be donated?
3. How are the funds being raised?
4. To what breast cancer organization does the money go, and what types of programs does it support?
5. What is the company doing to assure that its products are not actually contributing to the breast cancer epidemic?
Given the plethora of pink related products on sale in New Zealand, I think I may have come up with a blogging project for next year!