Friday 23 July 2010

Rumours swirling

V quick post from tiny iPod keyboard.

Rumours are abounding that Steve Chadwick's Bill may not be going in the ballot anytime soon.

IMHO that's actually ok as it gives pro-choice voices more time to get organized and make visible the significant public support for a woman's right to choose which we know is there.

It means that when a bill does go in the ballot, and later up for voting in Parliament, it won't only be the minority against abortion full stop (who also, it should be noted, don't support the current law) who dominate the public discussion.

I believe a pro-choice abortion law is possible in our time and I'll be working to make it happen. Who's with me?



10 comments:

Anna Sutherland said...

Women need access to abortion.

Bel said...

It would be great to have a chance to do lots more aware-raising on this issue with the general public before our politicians vote on it

AnneE said...

Yes, that was my concern about Steve's Bill - it seemed to come out of nowhere and without the very broad support base it should and definitely could have.

Carol said...

I will support Chadwick's Bill and a woman's right to choose.

captiver said...

I'm with you for sure.

Anonymous said...

I believe that one of the important aspects of a functional society is that no-one has the right to use a persons body against their will. That includes to carry a fetus.

Having safe accessible abortion is essential.

Lucy said...

I have also heard comments to that effect. But that doesn't mean we can't continue to push this issue, and we should.

Maia said...

I'm with you - lets do this thing

DPF:TLDR said...

Anne, is it possible Steve intended her bill more as a conscience-raising exercise? Even if she didn't, it may well have that effect.

Boganette said...

Yep I'm with you. Alranz has made up postcards in support of abortion law reform. If you email them they'll send them out to you. I've got some on order.