Sunday 2 January 2011

Some sad news

I came home from a family holiday to find some sad news from our co-blogger here, Anne Else. Anne's beloved husband, Harvey McQueen, died in the early hours of Christmas morning.

I didn't know Harvey at all, but I have been reading his blog, Stoatspring, for quite some time. He was managing a debilitating and terminal illness, but he wrote a blog post most days, reflecting on small joys in the garden, poetry, some political events, books and literature, life and love. He had a lyrical voice. He was a participant in Tuesday Poem, and recently, he edited a book of New Zealand poetry, These I Have Loved: My favourite New Zealand poems, which has been very well received. If you have a moment, you might care to read what Fiona Kidman had to say at the book's launch: Fiona Kidman on 'These I Have Loved'.

We are thinking of you, Anne, and remembering Harvey.

Update: Anne has put up The Last Post at Harvey's blog.

7 comments:

Piripi said...

Ka aroha hoki (my deepest condolences), Anne. My thoughts and prayers are with you. May your husband rest in peace, and may God grant you solace and succour in these, your darkest moments.

Placebogirl said...

Oh, Anne. I'm so so sorry, and sorry for the belated nature of these condolences. I just read this post (a bit behind on blogs during the holiday). My thoughts are with you and with those tho loved Harvey.

Anonymous said...

Oh so terribly sad. I loved reading Harvey, what a wise and delightful man.

So sorry for your immense loss Anne

Kerry

captiver said...

Heartfelt condolences and thoughts to you Anne.

Boganette said...

I'm so sorry Anne.

Chally said...

I'm really sorry, Anne.

AnneE said...

I've only just seen this post - thank you so much for writing it, Deborah, and thanks to all of you posting comments - it was such a help to see this surge of support.