Partly it's a generational thing, I suspect, and I'd be interested in readers' views. In your household, and in those of your broader acquaintance, who takes responsibility for:
- Organising any holiday away from home
- Organising any holiday activities if staying at home
- Buying the Xmas presents
- Cooking for special events like Xmas Day, New Year's Eve parties, etc
- Cleaning up before and after guests come around
- Organising any special purchases you need for your household in the summer sales
- Ensuring children/pets have sufficient care, e.g. holiday programmes, cattery, etc
My observation of the women in my life is that this imbalance in holiday labour is not a re-balancing from less work done during the year to allow for the holiday, e.g. the man paid for the holiday, presents etc, through his paid labour so he has contributed sufficiently in that way. I can't think of a single woman I know who doesn't contribute significantly to her household through her labour, paid and unpaid, to the extent that extra holiday work isn't an unfair additional burden.
What do you think?