Now now lefties and assorted progressive types, John Banks becoming Minister of Regulatory Reform, for Small Business, and Associate Minister for Education and Commerce isn't all bad.
You just need to stretch your thinking muscles a bit and I'm sure you can see the upsides of this dandy new arrangement that involves ACT and National agreeing to implement policy that wasn't in either of their election manifestos. Really, everyone is totally overreacting.
Sure Banks has a long history of homophobia, misogyny, racism and general all purpose bigotry, not to mention being of the Drowning Government in the Bathtub frame of mind, but he's just a man, man. Chillax.
Here's a list of the upsides to help you be as relaxed as our fabled Prime Minister:
- Key will have another multimillionaire called John to drink tea with.
- Adolf won't be the only person regularly using the third person to talk about themselves.
- Everyone will be able to spell transmogrification.
- John may be able to afford to buy another pair of glasses so we don't have to always look at those hipster ones that constantly remind me of Paul Goldsmith.
- Banks will be too busy to put any serious time into re-building ACT, even if he wants to
- He may have to duel with the Ministers for Medium and Large Business for Budget funding.
- Banks will probably be in Auckland less, and when he is he'll be in meetings, lots and lots of meetings. So a significantly reduced chance of bumping into him in Newmarket.
- At least he's not Minister of Corrections.
- Or Minister of Pacific Island Affairs, Maori Affairs, Women's Affairs, or Local Government.
- We'll now get lots of use for our Outrage Faces.
Feel free to add your contributions in comments.