- Referring to a known person (particularly one with a clearly stated gender identity) as he/she questions that identity, and is not acceptable.
- I assume by "surgically created penis thingy" you mean a penis. If so, say so.
- I have no idea why the man in question has not had 'bottom surgery', but there are a lot of reasons (medical risks, cost, the fact that the results are often not that great) why he may not have done so (DOES NOT NEED A PENIS TO BE A MAN is another option). If you don't know the reasoning, don't draw any conclusions from what you think it might be.
- As a queer woman with short hair, a little facial hair and who sometimes wears men's clothes, I'm actually not like Thomas Beattie when it comes to gender. THAT IS BECAUSE I'M NOT A MAN. He is, I'm not. Therefore, none of the above are determining factors.
- Plainness = so utterly irrelevant.
- I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE ABORTION RATE HAS TO DO WITH THIS.
- Have you ever considered the fact that maybe the couple are modelling pride in who they are, openness and the fact everyone is entitled to respect for their children?
- Have you ever considered that maybe it would be hard for them to keep this secret and they are trying to reveal it on their terms.
- If all the people (disabled, non-white, unmarried, low income...) who some obnoxious bigot thought shouldn't have children acted on that advice, the world would have a lot less kids and be a far worse place.
- I've never heard of a child with a trans* parent being made homeless by that parent because of their gender identity. Maybe that needs to be considered when we're thinking of the children.
- When you start talking about BIRTHING LIVE GOLDFISH, OF ALL THINGS you make this sound like a freak show. It isn't. Shut up.
- If you're concerned about the children, oh the children, why won't someone think of the children, why don't you stop worrying about what may or may not have been between their parents' legs at whatever times in their life, and make the world a bit easier for them by showing some respect.
Thursday, 23 February 2012
at 1:39 p.m. by anthea
I want to write on some related issues to this piece of bigotry by Rosemary McLeod, which I shall try and do later, but in the meantime: