Sunday 23 March 2008

Blog of the Week: Elsewhere

Welcome to 'Blog of the Week', a new feature here on the Hand Mirror. Each week we will be linking to a different blog by a New Zealand woman, to draw wider attention to the many awesome things women are saying.

I'm going to kick this off with Else Woman, by Anne Else. Anne Else was heavily involved with the women's liberation movement in New Zealand in it's earliest days, and she was one of the co-founders of Broadsheet. She's written some really important books on New Zealand women, including False Economy, which looks at paid and unpaid work in New Zealand. She also edited Women Together, a history of New Zealand women's organisations, which is essential for anyone interested in feminism.

One of the real weaknesses of feminist writing on blogs, is that it is so dominated by younger women. It's fantastic to have someone with so much knowledge and experience posting as well, and everyone should go read her.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Fantastic link, thankyou Maia. I think, 'though I'm not sure, that I have read some of her work. IN any case, her blog was a delight to read, and I will be going back there.

Julie said...

Great pick Maia! I had read some of Anne's columns on Scoop and they were fantastic. I hope she gets a wide readership with her new venture.

rosalux said...

Anne,

you are as wonderfully ascerbic as you ever were. I have been enjoying your blogs on public address and now am looking forward to seeing them here.

I am in the middle of putting in a compost bin into my town house which I moved into having had the dependents (various children, beloved but not of my own making!) move on. It has required putting in 25 steps (this is Wgtn after all) which have cost $2,000 +GST - but I decided it was necessary after my 85 year old mother twisted her ankle trying to rescue a plastic bag because she was worried about tuis pecking on it.

This was the same woman who refused to buy glad wrap in the 1970s and wrapped our school lunches in grease proof paper because she didn't believe plastic was good for the planet. And she wouldn't buy washing up detergent for the same reasons - we had a soap shaker with Sunlight soap because it was biodegradable and the washing up water went onto the cabbages when we were done. Most of my friends thought she was weird!

I enjoyed a meal recently with one of her grand-daughters who was bewailing the plundering of the earths resources by previous generations. I'm not sure that I can totally agree. Our mothers were pretty good at this green stuff.