Sunday 23 March 2008

Formula Debate (Cross post)

(Cross posted at Real Mummy)

Before I get started I want to make it clear that I do not have any problem with people who need to use formula for whatever reason. I do not even have a problem with people who choose to use formula for any reason, so long as it is an informed choice, made with the knowledge of the difference between breast milk and formula. This is not intended to beat up those mums at all (but I will look at mummy wars in postings to come).

Lily is now a little over 8 months old and I continue to breastfeed. It is easy - free (bonus for a SAHM) and works well for us.

What I am finding interesting is that breastfeeding support follows something like this:

Pre-birth: 'Oh you are going to breast feed, aren't you, it is the best for the baby...'

Birth: 'It is so great that you are giving breast feeding a good go, it is the best for the baby...'

3 months: 'Great that breast feeding is working so well for you, it is the best for the baby. So, when do you think you might introduce a bottle - it will help baby sleep through, give you a break...'

6 months: 'Wow, you have been so good with breastfeeding. So when are you going to start weaning?'

8 months: 'Oh, still feeding then, will you stop at a year?

1 year: *uncomfortable silence*

Why does this happen? Why is it great to start feeding your baby, but then have to move onto a formula so that other people feel comfortable? And why do some people feel uncomfortable about such a thing anyway?

For the record, I used to think it was a bit icky when people fed past 2 years. I still don't think it is a choice i would make, but now I can see why they might choose to feed. Not to mention the longer you feed, the better the health benefits are for the mother!

I think that it is no coincidence that the general societal acceptance of weaning onto formula at around 6 months occurs at the same time that formula is allowed to be advertised. Currently formula companies cannot advertise new born products. Most maternity carers are very limited in the information they give so they can push breast feeding. That means that many people who need advice on formula early on, when their milk supply is low or non existent for example, cannot access information easily.

Then at 6 months they suddenly come out of the woodwork - ta da! Formula time! So it becomes more normal to give formula than to breastfeed.

There is even an ad for a 'follow-on' formula for babies over a year - so you can be sure as to give your child all the nutrients they need.

Perhaps their parents haven't heard of food? You know, vegetables and fruit and well balanced meals? Why are they guilting parents into getting something they don't actually need?

So, next time you see someone feeding past 6 months, a year, 2 years... stop and think about why you feel the way you do, especially if it is negative. Chances are that the feelings are created by advertising, rather than from something you really believe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have three small children and am a "prolonged" breastfeeder. I confess to feeding until 3 which is my personal cut-off. I know what you mean though - its weird. I hate the way companies, the media and other mummies guilt you over all sorts of stuff. The job is hard enough as it is.

Anonymous said...

I've got a 14 mo and I weaned her at 12 months. She was ready and I was over it. I didn't experience any of that pressure that you talk about. I do have an extremely wonderful child health nurse (in Australia, no Plunket) and I think she always assumed I would feed until at least 12 months. Certainly most of the literature coming out from breastfeeding and child nutrition organisations are starting to recommend it.

All the info I've been given said not to start solids until 6 months, that exclusive breast for at least 6 months is best for baby.

I supplement her feeding with formula but without access to fresh cows milk (it's illegal) I agree her diet needs supplementing. It is not as easy as saying what about fresh veges and fruit. She has plenty of that, more so than most children in her community. But I don't feel she's ready to solely rely on solid food yet. I have parented the whole time on what I feel she's ready for and it's worked pretty well so far.

I guess it's what surprises me the most about the parents I interact with, is how little they trust their own instincts. It is the one thing my midwife (in Aotearoa) drilled into me and it was the best advice I ever got.

I suppose I'm not very suceptable to advertising pressures and I don't tend to notice funny looks from strangers cause I've experienced them most of my life. But I really thought attitudes to breastfeeding have changed significantly.

Thanks for your post. I think it's wonderful that we have these conversations online. There are many women out there who only get access to these conversations because of the internet.