Saturday 10 May 2008

A few quick links

Some online campaigns that I've noticed in the last week:

A support network for women, and families, living with HIV and AIDS in Aotearoa NZ. Positive Women is also focusing on battling many of the assumptions made about women in this situation, in particular through a new poster campaign, including the imagine I've used to illustrate this post. And they have a Facebook Group you can join to show your support.

This is the organisation that runs 0508 DVHELP, a domestic violence crisis helpline, as well as working in other ways to prevent violence in the home. From June 9th to 20th they are asking NZers to host a morning tea to raise money for their campaigns and services, and ultimately to help the organisation in its mission to put an end to domestic violence. There's a handy resource kit to make it easy, and I'm hoping to chip in myself (any excuse to crack out the cupcakes).

3. Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty - Donating money to EDEN this week?
I'm sure I saw a telly ad, twice, saying Dove were giving 5% of the price of all their beauty products sold this week to EDEN, an organisation working on eating disorders and body image issues. I'm a bit conflicted about this. On the one hand it's good that Dove use a more diverse range of models than most cosmetic companies, and that they focus on loving the body you are in. On the other hand they are still making money off women hating their bodies, with products that help your underarms look better and promise to thin your thighs if you just rub enough of their cream in. Is Dove donating 5% to EDEN sufficient to undo the damage to self-esteem that their products do?
4. Carnival of Allies (no link yet)
After all the furore that has whipped around the feminist blogosphere about racism and white feminism, Angry Black Woman has put the call out for a Carnival of Allies, which she will host at her blog in the next couple of weeks. I've missed the deadline, but Deborah didn't, and I'm sure there will be some amazing reading to click through to in this Carnival.
And finally an apology to Kakariki. I realised that I've had the URL for her fantastic site, Radical Cross Stitch, all wrong, but it's fixed now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are Dove owned by? Unilever. The company airing those stoopid Lynx adverts. The so-called real women are all air-brushed. How much do they donate to a good cause? f-all. It's like a company selling underarm deoderant with aluminium in it donating to breast cancer research - bull-sh*t. Don't get me started on all the "pink ribbon marketing". You can't buy your way out of misogyny or global warming or any other problem.

Julie said...

Thanks for that Helen, I had a vague nagging sensation that Dove would not be as squeaky clean (boom boom) as their advertising campaigns suggest, and you have dropped the other shoe for me. I hate those Lynx ad campaigns (although I hear they are a lot worse overseas, where the product is called Axe). Bastards.