Monday 9 June 2008

Gun control

Within the last hour, a stand off between a nineteen year old Dunedin man and the Armed Offenders Squad was peacefully concluded. The man had holed himself up in an empty building in the central business district, armed with a flare gun, knife and hammer. We don't yet know why he did this: perhaps he has mental health problems, or is going through some crisis in his personal life. On hearing he'd been apprehended without harm to himself or anyone else, my first thought was one of relief that I live in a country which restricts gun ownership and use. With a firearm, the man could have done irreparable damage.

Irreparable damage is what has been done to the family of Navtej Singh, the Auckland store owner who was shot at close range in the weekend. He died this morning, leaving behind him a wife and three young daughters.

I don't believe that gun advocates are a particularly strong lobby in NZ, but I was disappointed recently with the vocal support received by Garth Gadsby, the so-called 'Sheriff of Ngawi', who was convicted for discharging a firearm with reckless disregard for the safety of others. Gadsby had shot at a carload of teenaged burglars fleeing from his property. His friend told the media, 'No one here is a vigilante. We are hardworking people who are proud of what we have. We have a right to protect our homes.'

When you think about it, the right to protect yourself is a pretty hollow one. Far more valuable is the right to live free from fear of attack in the first place. The pro-gun lobby, particularly in the US, seems to have a kind of stand-off mentality. Assume everyone is a potential danger, and arm yourself accordingly. The way to secure a peaceful life is to be prepared to shoot first. In the wake of the Virginia mass shooting of some months ago, a spokesman for the pro-gun lobby had the bizarre audacity to claim the tragedy as an argument for relaxing gun controls. If the victims had been armed, they could have pumped the shooter full of lead before he had the chance to take out so many innocent victims. People who make this sort of argument stun me: they seem to treat deaths by gun violence like scores notched up on an X-Box game between good guys and bad guys.

The right to protect yourself is often sold to women as a kind of pseudo-feminist empowerment. I've occasionally heard feminists criticised for 'moaning' about rape, victim-mentality style, instead of getting out there and taking self-defence lessons. Terrible examples of this sort of argument can be found on the NRA website (for example, www.nrahq.org/women), where a programme called 'Refuse to be a victim' is advertised thus: 'Experts agree that the single most important step toward ensuring your personal safety is making the decision to refuse to be a victim. That means that you must have an overall personal safety strategy in place before you need it.'

I actually don't want to make myself more proficient at violence, whether through self-defence lessons or gun use – it's something I only ever do with deep reluctance. Having the legal right to shoot someone wouldn't make me feel any safer, not least because it would give others the legal right to shoot me. I find that whole way of thinking repellent. And I'm incredibly relieved that the nineteen year old Dunedin man never had the option of taking a gun, turning in on others or himself, and doing irreparable damage.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice that a lot of the times I've seen debates on gun control, thos ein favour of guns tend to think gun control means no-one anywhere at any time are allowed guns. I'm not sure what your position is, but I think gun control is just obvious. It's just a matter of sorting out exactly how restricted and it what ways guns and ammo are.

Julie said...

Out of interest d-k are these conversations you have had with Americans? I have relatives who live in the States and once had a very agreeable conversation about "gun control", until I realised that when I used the term I meant very strict controls on who could have one, where they had to keep it, etc, but when they said "gun control" they meant everyone should have one in the top drawer of their bedside table! Quite a surreal moment when I worked that out.

This is a great post Anna. I understand why people might want to have a gun for hunting, farming or to shoot targets at a range. But I find the concept of owning a gun that is really just for killing people really odd. What use is a Glock in the forest?

Readers may be interested in Ruth's thoughts on the issue, in particular the stats she has quoted on US gun deaths:
http://strandedinreality.typepad.com/stranded_in_reality/2008/06/gun-love.html

Anna said...

I also think, d-k, that when regulation is not stringent enough, it's the equivalent of no regulation at all because firearms become so easily available.

There was a incident a few months ago at a gun store where the son of the owner shot a guy who was trying to rob him (and who had a weapon, but not a gun). I certainly felt sorry for the shop owners, as having someone try to rob you is terrifying, but it really worried me that the dad was so in favour of his son's actions - he really believed his son should have the right to shoot someone in defense of their property. Yet, I think this guy would support gun controls of some sort - while he would want the right to shoot a burglar (and would also want some others to own guns to increase his sales), he would not want the burglar to have the right to own a firearm. Likewise Garth Gadsby - he believed he had the right to shoot 'sensibly' at burglars, but I doubt he would support everyone having this right.

I'm not sure how easy it is to distinguish 'sensible' violence from the everyday sort, but I think they both lead to a culture of fear.

Anonymous said...

Self-defense doesn't stop rape or abuse. In fact, it can precipitate more abuse- ultimately the only way to avoid being a victim is to be lucky enough to have an attacker that will give up on whatever they wanted to do to you after a certain amount of resistance. So much for that little piece of "wisdom".

I have to agree with you for the most part, Julie, in that I empathise with people who have legitimate reason for owning guns other than self-defense. I think there are some people, particularly in America, who own guns to make themselves feel safer, but don't know how to, or aren't even mentally prepared to use them. That kind of gun is even more dangerous, as it's essentially only ever going to be used by someone prepared to steal it.

I'm still torn on whether I think it's unhealthy for people in rural areas to own guns for self-defense. On the one hand, I agree with Anna that it perpetuates this constant state of fear where they have to intimidate or kill anything that crosses their path. On the other hand, I'm quite conscious of the fact that I don't know the slightest thing about life out in the country and am very much the product of an urban environment.

Anna said...

Good point Ari - I hadn't really thought of it as an urban/rural issue, which to a large extent it is.

I grew up in the country, and we had guns about. I never actually felt unsafe, although I was scared of the guns! Having said that, though, if I lived rurally as an adult and a parent, I might feel differently. One of Garth Gadsby's comments was that the Police didn't come to his aid in his rural community - that is a serious problem which needs to be addressed.