But back to the subject at hand - local initiatives aiming to address violence.
HMA (Hall McMaster & Associates Limited) focuses on creating and supporting programmes such as probation officer training, domestic violence courses, and restorative justice initiatives. They have a range of self-help resources available on their website for free as well.
HMA was originally based in Christchurch and now offers support in many of New Zealand's main centres. Here's a bit more about them from their own website:
Our mission statement is 'Working with Passion and Integrity to bring out the best in people'; a statement that is at the core of our philosophy to life. For many years we have all involved ourselves in social justice issues and are passionate about making our communities a safer and more respectful place.Their website is well worth a general browse as it is chock-full of information and useful resources.
We are committed to social change through the following means:
Each of our partners and associates is actively involved in a range of organisations and initiatives designed to bring out the best in people. While most of our work is about training workers in the human services to work more effectively, we bring that same dedication to individual clients whom we work with.
- encouraging responsibility for behaviour that impacts negatively on others
- being accountable to others for our behaviour
- making the most out of each opportunity
- our belief that learning is a life long task and continuing our own growth and development
- working to privilege the stories of those who have been silenced
- working hard and with dedication to bring about change in the lives of people
- keeping connected with practice
- integrity in working within our realm of expertise