Yesterday's faxathon gave The Hand Mirror it's biggest day for hits ever, and hopefully we've encouraged the Government to have a bit of a think about whether or not this pay equity issue is just going to go away and die (correct answer: No it's not).
Thanks so much to everyone who took part, by fax, phone, mail, email or in person; by promoting the faxathon through linkage, tweeting, Facebook status updates, inviting people to the Facebook event, emailing your contacts, getting your workmates, whanau and friends to sign your fax; and no doubt lots of other things I can't think of right now.
Special mentions to:
- Anita at Kiwipolitico - for pdferizing the fax for me and hosting it at her site
- Our blog allies - No Right Turn, Kiwipolitico, Frogblog, Just Left, The Standard, Schroedinger's Tabby, Ideologically Impure, In A Strange Land, stargazer, Reading the Maps, Too Hip To Be Nats - for their promotional support (apologies if I've missed your blog off this list, let me know and you shall appear!)
- My co-bloggers here at The Hand Mirror - for their enthusiasm and for letting me do mad sht with our blog
- N* at the EPMU, G* at Trade Unions Waikato, and S* at TEU for sending making sure the message got out to their members (and big ups to TEU National Secretary Sharn Riggs for supporting the faxathon publicly!). And to anyone else who did so that I just don't know about.
- T* and her fantastic friends for setting up a Facebook event for the Faxathon off their own bat (just thinking about it still makes me smile!)
- Adders for sending me his pay inequity cartoon for publishing here (and putting up with my slight paranoia) with the main post about it all yesterday
Something needs to happen next. I'm not sure what that could be. Clearly though there is an appetite out there to do something on this issue and to keep it on the agenda. At the very least we can start building a coalition of interested people, and I will keep the Pay Equity Hub going.
Further ideas in comments please!
More on pay equity stuff here - Because we're worth it: Pay Equity Hub
* I'm not sure if anyone wants me to use their actual names, so I'm just using an initial at this stage - email me if you want named props! :-)