Maia and others, notably the Vic Action for Abortion Right's group, were involved in organising a protest outside the Court of Appeal in Wellington to show support for a woman's right to choose and law reform that heads in that direction; No More Jumping Through Hoops.
Here's a round-up of coverage of the court hearing and the protest, which I'll add to as I get a chance (kindly help me out by posting relevant links in comments, ta!):
- Dominion Post article - Abortion rally outside court - with a great pic of the demonstration
- Speech to the rally by Rebecca from Mothers For Choice - sample quote: "We have a very strong message for the Right to Life brigade – not only do you not own women’s bodies, you don’t own families."
- ALRANZ media statement on the court case - Anti-Abortion Case Reflects Political Apathy Over Women's Rights - including: "Until Parliament acts to enshrine women’s reproductive rights in law, this kind of costly legal harassment will continue, [Dame Margaret Sparrow] said."
- Stuff article on the court hearing - Hearing to review abortion ruling
- Anti-abortion Group Is Not Angry With You, Just Very Very Disappointed - Right To Life put out an odd media statement that doesn't really look like a media statement, and reckon it's inappropriate to protest outside the court. Also, did you know that everytime you wear red you are endorsing a culture of death?
- Background on the court case, which has been going on for a long time now, can be found at the ALRANZ site.
Comment direction: Kindly take any arguments about the morality of abortion to the whole page we have set up especially for debating that topic. Comments on this post should focus on the court case and/or the protest.