Friday 16 May 2008

What’s a mother to do?

When my partner and I first moved in together we infected each other with two particularly virulent and long lasting maladies. I caught Coronation Street off him and, for his sins, he now suffers a strange spasm most week nights from 7pm, for half an hour or so. We have sat in front of the goggle-box through Mike Barlow’s decline, Huia Samuels’s explosive end, Sarah Platt’s aborted wedding, and Chris Warner’s return. Neither of us go in for Home and Away, Neighbours or Eastenders, but Coro and Shortie are our guilty pleasures.

The current water cooler conversation at Soap Watchers Anonymous, at least in our shaky isles, is Tracy Barlow’s murder trial. For those unfamiliar with the plot line here’s a quick summary:
  1. Charlie is an emotionally abusive arsehole who almost ruins the life of the very nice Shelley.
  2. Sometime after Shelley leaves Charlie at the altar, he and long-time Coro troublemaker Tracy start a relationship that could be made for the cliché “they deserve each other.”
  3. The two nasties basically play games with each other, until Charlie has an affair and Tracy breaks it off in outrage.
  4. Surprisingly, Tracy quickly goes back to Charlie. In fact, she has decided to exact her revenge by the long-winded route of creating the (mostly false) impression that he is abusing her and eventually killing him. Her intention all along is to plead not guilty on the grounds of self-defence, by virtue of being a battered spouse.
  5. Tracy puts her plan into action, manipulating her neighbour Clare and her mother Deidre, amongst other unwitting Coro St residents, to create witnesses to Charlie’s supposed abuse.
  6. Eventually Tracy tries to goad Charlie into physically attacking her so that she can kill him in the process of a fight. When he refuses to rise to the bait she scones him one with a statuette anyway. After some suspense he dies and she is arrested for murder.
  7. Tracy sets about giving herself the best possible chance of getting away with it through a sex-for-eye-witness-testimony deal with the Teen From Hell David. She also guilts her parents into funding an expensive legal team, including a lawyer who specializes in helping abused women to escape their violent partners.
  8. Deirdre, Tracy’s mother, works it all out and confronts her daughter, who rather remorselessly confesses all.
This last happens a few days before Deirdre is due to testify as the final witness in Tracy’s defence case, backing up her daughter’s accusations of abuse by Charlie. As a woman who has done jail time herself, Deirdre cannot stand the thought of losing her daughter to prison. She also knows that if she doesn’t lie on the stand she will lose her anyway, as Tracy will excise her mother from her life, and take Deirdre’s grand daughter away too.

As a mum, Deirdre feels extreme guilt for her part in raising a daughter who could murder, and also has a parent’s natural inclination to want to do anything to save her child. Plus, Charlie was genuinely a horrible abusive man, although his manipulation wasn’t particularly effective on the woman who actually killed him. All up it’s a twisted situation, fraught with moral dilemna.

What would you do in Deirdre’s brogues? Would you do anything to save your child from many years in prison? If your offspring committed a heinous crime, and you knew all about it, would you shop them? And is Coro St being irresponsible by promulgating the idea that a woman would make up a serious case of abuse to get away with murder?

Thoughts, dear readers, in comments, or if you prefer to write a post on your own blog about this matter please do share a link.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nooooo!!! You can't suck me into your evil addiction!

Anonymous said...

I come and go from Corrie (along with Mr Art, but I have been watching the Tracey thing play out. If it were my kid - dunno - plead the 5th? Couldn't lie for them I know that.

Julie said...

@helen, just you wait, no doubt I'll start writing about Shortie soon :-P

My husband feels incredibly conflicted about the situation. If it were Wriggly he really doesn't know what he would do. Given the exact same facts I think I would probably avoid testifying, or if forced I would find it hard not to shop my child. However if Wriggly turns out to not be as nasty as Tracy (fingers crossed) then I think I would consider lying for him.

Anonymous said...

I saw this Corrie saga seven months ago when I was in England! So glad we finally caught up so I could see how things finally unfolded.

As far as the message this storyline sends: I think to a casual viewer, it could certainly be taken as a negative against abused women. Regular viewers on the other hand will know much better to judge all women by the Ultimate Standard of Crazy and Devious that is Tracey Barlow.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid as someone who likes my emotional indulgences genuine and gentle, I can't stand soap operas because they are so overdramatic and emotionally violent, and I find myself having difficulty following the incredibly contrived and complicated plotline set out, despite being vaguely familiar with the characters from my mother's addiction.

I'd like to point out quickly that Tracey is practically an avatar of every antifeminist conspiracy theory and strikes me as an incredibly sexist character- and that's from someone who has watched like four and a half episodes while not really paying attention and trying to catch up with the characters. It's good to hear that you personally don't regard her as typical, but I think it's damaging to have characters THIS psychotic and lacking any backstory justification, aligned with demographics that are already unfairly stereotyped as mentally unstable.

As for my take on the moral dilemma? After a second reading-through of the summary, I'd say that I haven't seen enough manipulative horribleness about Charlie to justify murdering him, or to justify participating in a conspiracy against him. (That may be because I don't watch enough Coro) That said, not being a parent myself, I feel very hesitant in saying that I'd condemn Tracey to jail despite her hypothetically being my horrendously manipulative daughter, because I have no analogous relationships in my life right now.