Reasons why Christine Rankin is not a good pick to be on the Families Commission:
- Not only opposed the amendment of s59 (which the Families Commision championed) but actually set up and headed a group aimed at opposing said amendment;
- Famous for introducing the term "culture of extravagance" to political discussion of our public service, during her tenure heading up WINZ;
- Doesn't actually seem to know all that much about what the Families Commision does;
- Has more than a whiff of the Razor Gang about her;
- Something of a "celebrity racist", whose comments on Breakfast resulted in the sacking of security guard who politely called her on it off air (Note to Paul Henry: you got off real light mate);
- Right-wing Auckland Regional Councillor who tends towards private provision of everything.
- Isn't a big fan of state support for solo parents.
- Was once seen having a friendly lunch with Roger Douglas.
Stupid non-reasons that seem to be getting waaaaaaaay too much oxygen:
- Skirt length
- Marital status
- Not having a university education
- How old she was when she had her children
- Her performance on Dancing with the Stars